Friday, April 29, 2011

Nap Time

One of my favorite times of day is nap time- not my nap time but my kids nap time. Don't get me wrong, I love my girls and I have so much fun with them but having a few hours during the day to either do what I want or need to do is great. I've always enjoyed doing crafts and making things and now nap time is the best time do do any of that stuff. For some reason when I do crafts or other hobbies I seem to only be able to focus on one thing at a time. For example- I have been doing great with my challenge of reading 50 books this year... until I started doing BEDA (Blog Every Day in April) and I have only read ONE book this month.




I had a great friend when I lived in Idaho who was super creative and everything she made turned out so cute! Even now people always ask where I got the ideas for some of the things we made- and it was all her. We would get together a lot and do little crafts. We tried to make a craft for each major holiday, each year. That way it wasn't too expensive and after a few years we had some very cute decorations. She was one of my best friends and when we moved away I was so sad. I miss her a lot. We just had a very easy friendship with no drama, and I really miss getting together doing crafts. Now I have to try and think up things myself and it just isn't the same.




When I was pregnant, and got too huge to work I stayed at home and got really board. One day I decided I wanted to have a new hobby so I went online and looked up embroidery. I made little pictures for the walls of the nursery and I think they turned out pretty cute. I made a few other people thing, and still do it every one in a while. I'm not the best at it but it is really fun to do.




Then there is always reading. I've already talked about my love for reading but apparently I can't do anything else while I'm in my reading "zone" or I get distracted and stop. I hope next month I can keep up with my goal!




Another thing I learned online was how to knit. (Well online and from one of my sisters.) I really wanted to make a scarf for one of my sisters for Christmas so I turned to YouTube and low and behold I started knitting. That same Christmas I also wanted to make hats to donate to a girl I met online who was helping people with a illness called Trichotillmania. (They unconsciously pull out their hair) It felt good to do something for someone even if it wasn't anything great. I learned how to make small stuffed animals and there is a lot more I want to learn to knit too- but again I have to be in the right mood to want to. (You can ask my husband- I've started a scarf for him that was supposed to be done for this past winter... oops!)




Of course one of the biggest distractions of all is TV. Again this is a topic I've already talked about in this blog but I like it a lot- and I get consumed by it. Especially when I started watching Lost. It was a little intense.




One thing that I normally don't do during nap time is, well nap. At this point in my life I am for sure a night owl. I love staying up late, and hate the lovely 6:30 wake up call from my girls each morning. Logically I should take a nap during the day if I'm staying up late at night, but I just can't do it. If I do sleep at all during the day it just makes it even harder for me to sleep at night. So I avoid napping during nap time for the most part. However, I do love me a nice Sunday nap every once in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment