Monday, April 4, 2011

Book Worm

One of the ways that I like to spend my free time is reading. I am a huge Harry Potter fan, I love the Hunger Games books, I've read almost all of John Grisham's books and I really enjoy finding new authors.


Considering how much I like to read it is surprising that I absolutely hated reading all the way through high school. I read very few books the whole way through up until collage. The fist book I ever remember reading by myself and enjoying was The Giver by Lois Lowry - and to this day it is what I consider my favorite book. I read it in my sixth grade language arts class. Mrs. Copp was the teacher and I hated the class, but I am glad that I got at least one thing out of it.


Last year I set a goal for myself to read fifty book in 2010. To some this is a very easy thing to do but I am a pretty slow reader and I can only read when my kids are asleep. I started out last year doing ok but quickly fell behind. After that I felt like I was spending all my time worrying about reading. I stopped keeping track of my books in the summer and was totally ok with it. I wanted to be able to do other fun things in my free time like do some crafts or watch a TV show ( ok, ok... I wanted to watch Lost!). When January came around this year my goodreads account ( online book lists, reviews and such) asked me what my goal was for this year. At first I wasn't going to set a number goal but just "read more", but then I gave in and I am going after the fifty books in 2011! So far I am doing really good! I am actually ahead of schedule!


I am on a big young adult literature kick right now. I've found some really fun books. I also hope to branch out a little more and read some classics and some things that I normally wouldn't pick. I am in a book club with some friends and I love it. They are super sweet girls and even if we spend a lot of time talking about things other then the book!


I hope that I can help my children learn to love reading. I don't want them to be like I was and avoid reading growing up. Reading is a fantastic way to use your imagination- even for a twenty-seven year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment